Select Registry, Distinguished Inns of North America , is a non-profit association of over 300 country inns , B & Bs and boutique hotels throughout the United States , Canada and now Europe . Founded in 1972, the association is based in Charleston, South Carolina , United States . 
The Norman Simpson,  who traveled throughout North America identifying unique places that offered what he called, “good honest lodging, good honest food, and good honest feeling.”  Through his book, Country Inns and Back Roads , Simpson introduced the traveling public to this group of properties throughout the US and Canada. Today, this association of independent innkeepers started by Simpson is known as Select Registry. 
Originally based in Berkshire , New England ,  the organization is now headquartered in Charleston , South Carolina . Select Registry has a diverse membership which includes bed and breakfasts , urban inns, boutique hotelsand small resorts . Members are required to pay annual fees, as well as quality assurance inspections every few years. Board of Directors made up of a member of the Board of Directors  govern the Chief Executive Officer .
Simpson’s Country Inns and Back Roads is now updated in the Select Registry’s annual guidebook, whose 25th edition was printed in 2013. The publication features all member properties, categorized by state or province. This 450-plus page reference provides details on each property. The guide provides color photos for every entry, and the local tourist places. 
Select Registry’s members must submit applications in order to qualify for an unexpected visit. At the end of the inspections. Select Registry’s board members appraise each applicant before making a decision. According to the association ‘s guidelines are removed if they do not meet the standards for “hospitality, attention to detail, amenities and food”.
- Jump up^ “Two York, Pa., Bed-and-breakfasts make national registry” . Knight Ridder . 2004-08-30. Archived from the original on 2009-03-06 . Retrieved 5 March 2009 .
- Jump up^ “The Bentwood Inn Joins Prestigious Innkeeping Association” . Adventure Travel Media Source. 2008-06-10. Archived from the original (pdf) on 2009-03-06 . Retrieved 5 March 2009 .
- Jump up^ “Select Registry Distinguished Inns & Other Unique Small Hotels” . AmeriCan & Worldwide Travel . Archived from the original on 2009-03-06 . Retrieved 2009-03-05 .
- Jump up^ “About Select Registry” . Select Registry . 2008. Archived from the original on 2009-03-06 . Retrieved 2009-03-06 .
- Jump up^ Reynolds, Nicky (2003-07-20). “Chanticleer Inn On Mountain Lookout Chosen As Distinguished Inn” . The Chattanoogan . Archived from the original on 2009-03-06 . Retrieved 5 March 2009 .
- Jump up^ Colin, Emily (2007-09-21). “Select Registry” . Living Southern Style Magazine . Archived from the original on 2009-03-06 . Retrieved 6 March 2009 .
- Jump up^ “This Week’s Giveaway: ‘Select Registry ‘ ” . The Post-Standard . Advance Publications . 2002-01-06. Archived from the original on 2009-03-06 . Retrieved 5 March 2009 .