The Institute of Practitioners in Advertising (IPA), incorporated by Royal Charter is the trade body and professional institute for agencies in the UK’s advertising , media and marketing communications industry. It covers all aspects of the business agency: creative, digital marketing , direct marketing , healthcare, media, out-of-home advertising , sales promotion and sponsorship sectors.   It currently has around 300 agency members. 
The role of the IPA is to promote the value of media, marketing and advertising agencies. It is a spokesman for the industry. It also runs a number of programs to define, help and maintain the highest possible standards of professional practice. This includes awards schemes such as the IPA Effectiveness Awards,   best practice guidelines, and surveys including the IPA Quarterly Bellwether Report (compiled by Markit Economics),   and annual IPA Agency Census.  Its members have access to over 100 training courses, a variety of online and offline qualifications programs and a full range of advisory services.
Founded in 1917 as the Association of British Advertising Agents, its members account for 85 percent of the media spend in the UK. All IPA members actively participate in the IPA’s program of continuing professional development .
The IPA is a member of the UK Advertising Association  and plays an active role in the creative industries’ joint venture with government under the Creative Industries Council umbrella. 
In 2015, Tom Knox, chairman of DLKW LOWE was elected as president with a ‘Here for Good’ agenda to deliver a new industry code of conduct. Previous presidents include the executive creative Director of OgilvyOne and Vice-Chairman of Ogilvy Group UK, Rory Sutherland . 
In 2011, Paul Bainsfair succeeded Hamish Pringle as its Director General. He has also been Chairman of Iris Worldwide, Chairman of TBWA Europe, Director of Omnicom Europe, Founder and Co-Chairman of Bainsfair Sharkey Trott and CEO of Saatchi & Saatchi .
The IPA was awarded a Royal Charter in December 2015. The Charter is on display at 44 Belgrave Square.
- Jump up^ “Institute of Practitioners in Advertising” . Partners . WARC . Retrieved 4 November 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “IPA: About” . IPA . Retrieved 4 November 2013 .
- Jump up^ “IPA Effectiveness” . IPA . Retrieved 4 November 2013 .
- Jump up^ “IPA Bellwether Report” . IPA . Retrieved 4 November 2013 .
- Jump up^ Reynolds, John (11 July 2013). “UK marketing spend rising as optimism grows, finds IPA Bellwether report” . Guardian . Retrieved 4 November 2013 .
- Jump up^ “IPA Agency Census” . IPA . Retrieved 4 November 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Advertising Association members” . Members . Advertising Association . Retrieved 4 November 2013 .
- Jump up^ Creative Industries Council
- Jump up^ IPA profile of Rory Sutherland