Clienteling is a technique used by retail sales associates to establish long-term relationships with customers based on their preferences, behaviors and purchases.  Clienteling is Intended to guide Associates to Provide Informed and more personal customer service  That May influences customer behavior related to shopping frequency, lift in average transaction value, and other retail key performance indicators.  From the customer’s perspective, customereling “could add a layer of personal touch”  to the shopping experience.
While at its core, clienteling is a technique commonly used to describe the relationship between software and customer support.  Software-based clienteling has been said to have the advantage of collecting data about clients across different channels.  Clienteling software may also provide digital tools on mobile devices or fixed workstations.   While sales history is collected in customer relationship management(CRM) platforms can provide some insight into a customer’s tendencies, this insight can be increased by data collected by an associate working with a customer, who can improve the customer profile through each face-to-face interaction.  This information can be used to further personalize future interactions.   Capabilities such as ratings, wish lists , preferences , alerts , and purchase history are sometimes used to enable associates to enhance customer experience and business history.  Clienteling can also be used to reduce the cost of consumer goods and services to consumers by using the right customers. 
Use in retail stores
In 2014, a software-based clienteling solution was deployed on iPad to over 3,500 associates at Saks Fifth Avenue .  Ralph Lauren has also used clienteling to invite select shoppers to special shopping events. 
- Consumer relationship system
- Customer experience
- Jump up^ “clienteling” . Retrieved 2 March 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “How to Deliver Great Customer Service” . Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- Jump up^ Reda, Susan. “Making Mobile Happen” . Retrieved 2 March 2015 .
- Jump up^ Joseph, Alex. “iPad Clienteling at Retail Stores: Cool or Creepy?” . Retrieved 2 March 2015 .
- Jump up^ Ginsburg, Rachel. “Retail Evolution: Building a Tech Enabled Environment” . Retrieved 2 March 2015 .
- Jump up^ Eisenberg, Lee. Shoptimism: Why the American Consumer Will Keep on Buying No Matter What . ISBN 0743296257 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Garry Michael. “New Clienteling Tool Empowering Saks Associates”. Retrieved 2 March 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Mahoney, Sarah. “Thanks To Mobile, More Retailers ‘Clienteling ‘ “. Retrieved 2 March 2015 .
- Jump up^ Rhodus, Matt. “Clienteling Enriched the In-Store Experience” . Retrieved 16 March 2015 .
- Jump up^ Richter, Nathan. “Making Excess Exclusive By Clienteling” . Retrieved 2 March 2015 .
- Jump up^ Shanker, Martin C. “Pull-Don’t Push-Your Way to Customereling Success” . Retrieved 2 March 2015 .
- Jump up^ Ritzer Ross, Julie. “Facing Fears in Omnichannel” . Retrieved 2 March 2015 .